Welcome to the Town of Vonore
When visiting Vonore a person will be struck by the unique beauty, lush landscape and Smokey Mountain scenery. Vonore is surrounded on three sides by the Tellico Lake. The majesty of the water with the foothills of the Smokey Mountains in the background is ever present in any direction you wish to look.
Boating, Fishing, Hiking and Camping, are just a few of the attractions and sports that can be found in this community. The legendary “Dragon” for motorcycle enthusiasts is located only 10 miles from the city limits. Living accommodations to suite anyone’s taste and comfort requirements can be found in and around Vonore.
The people of Vonore consist of a vast array of backgrounds, from the farmer who grew up on the very land he now lives and tends to the retired person who found this “diamond in the rough” while surfing the internet for a retirement community to move and enjoy away from the hustle and bustle of the fast corporate and city life styles.
Vonore offers the largest industrial parks in Monroe County (Tellico West and Niles Ferry Industrial Parks) with employment opportunities for all ages. Vonore is proud of its Public Library and happy to have anyone who enjoys reading to visit the library in person or via internet to check out books and other written items. The Heritage Museum houses a wide array of artifacts from families and years of history of days gone by. The City Mayor and Aldermen are very community minded and welcome everyone to their special town.
- PUBLIC NOTICE: The Town of Vonore will hold (3) public meetings at Vonore City Hall. The purpose of the meetings will be to discuss eligible projects for the upcoming 2016 Local Parks and Recreation Fund grant application. The public is invited to attend and make comment. All minority members are encouraged to attend and make comment. The meeting will be handicap accessible; however, anyone needing special assistance should contact Courtney Dalton-Viar at 423-884-6211. The dates of the meetings are as follows:
- Thursday, March 24, 2016, at 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 31, 2106 at 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, April 4, 2016 at 6:00 p.m.
- The Board of Mayor and Aldermen meeting is held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. in City Hall. Copies of the agenda can be picked up at City Hall.
- Vonore Veteran's Memorial Park, located across from City Hall in the Tellico Lake cove behind the Fire Department, currently consists of a fishing pier and a paved walking trail. There are future plans for a flag memorial and a pavilion. Bricks for the flag memorial can be purchased at the Vonore Heritage Museum or City Hall at $40 per brick.
- Vonore received a Community Development Block Grant for a new fire truck. The grant award was $199,800.00. The town's portion of the fire truck purchase is $70,200.00. The new truck should be delivered by April 2016.
- Our parks and recreation department has finished the first phase of work on a new baseball park near City Hall, which is being funded by a Local Parks and Recreation Fund Grant for $250,000. The city dedicated 23 acres of land as its match for the grant. The project consists of a completed baseball field along with grade work for a multi-purpose field. Additional project ideas for a new LPRF grant include but are not limited to: bathrooms, concession stand, and press box, utilities (water, electric, and sewer), finishing the multi-purpose field into a 2nd baseball field, a new basketball court, and playground equipment. There are plans for future work in the park area to include additional walking trails, a covered pavilion, playground, and other park amenities.